|TradingView – Best Screener for U.S. & International Investors; Excellent Fundamental & Technical Stock Screens|
|MetaStock – Best for International Investors – Powerful Stock Screening + Real-Time News|
|TC2000 – Best Fundamental Scanning for U.S. & Canadian Investors|
|Screener-co – Best for U.S. & International Value Investors|
|NASDAQ / ZACKS - Good Preconfigured Free Scanning - But Limited Power|
|Yahoo - Improving All The Time - But Lacks Real Depth|
|CNBC Money - 98 Variables, But Poor Implementation|
|FINVIZ - Visual Approach To Finding Stocks Is Nice But Limiting|
|MSN Money - Reasonable Free Screener For Beginners|
|MarketWatch - A Waste of Time Screener|
Out of all the screeners we reviewed, the clear winners are TradingView with excellent scanning across the globe's stock markets. MetaStock has extremely powerful scanning and real-time news. TC2000 has the most integrated approach to screening but is only available for U.S. investors. Finally, Screener.co has a powerful historical database of fundamental data but will take time to master.
Screening or scanning for stocks is one of the most important elements in your investing strategy. Whether you are a day trader or a long-term investor, finding the companies that match your idea of what makes a good investment is critical.
We have evaluated the most popular well-known companies and pitted them against some newcomers to save you time and enable you to make the right choice of Stock Screener to meet your needs. The results will surprise you.
The Best Stock Screeners / Scanners are:
- TradingView – Best Screener for U.S. & International Investors; Excellent Fundamental & Technical Stock Screens at a great price point
- MetaStock – Best for International Investors – Powerful Stock Screening + the Best Real-Time News
- TC2000 – Best Fundamental Scanning for U.S. & Canadian Investors; Fantastic Real-time Screening at a super price
- Screener-co – Best for U.S. & International Value Investors – the best selection of Fundamental Criteria
Part 1 – The In-Depth Stock Screener Comparison Table
We evaluated 20 contenders, from well-known companies like FINVIZ, AOL Finance, MSN Money, CNN Money, MarketWatch, Reuters & NASDAQ, and some newer lesser known companies.
We trimmed the list to only 10 worth mentioning. There are clearly 4 winners based on our evaluation. The winners were selected based on the number of filterable, customizable criteria available in the Stock Screener, but also including value for money, usability, and innovation.
Best Stock Screener - Winners
|Vendor||TradingView||MetaStock||TC2000||Screener.Co||NASDAQ / ZACKS||CNBC||Yahoo||MSN Money||FINVIZ||MarketWatch||Reuters|
|Best for:||International Traders wanting a great package with social integration||International Investors wanting the best Real-time News & Strategy Testing||U.S. & Canadian Investors wanting fantastic real-time fundamental screening||Overall Screening Power like Bloomberg for 1/2 the price|
|Sector & Industry Screening||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Mutual Fund Screener||✔||✔|
|Fundamental Scanning & Screening|
|Real Time Scanning & Filtering||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Watch Lists with Fundamentals||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Fundamental Screening Filters|
|Price/Earnings Ratio P/E||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|EPS Growth Rate||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Current Ratio / Quick Ratio||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Profit / Income / Revenue||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Price to Book / Price to Cashflow||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Assets / Debt to Equity||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Return on Equity / investment||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Total Fundamental Criteria||52||79||85||500||128||98||52||45||29||2||3|
|Unique Screening Criteria|
|Extended Economics Fundamentals||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Number of Employees||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Enterprise Value EBITDA||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Revenue Per Employee||✔||✔||✔|
|Guru Stock Screener||✔|
|Analyst Ratings & Changes||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Morningstar Profitability & Growth||✔|
|New Highs - Lows & % Change||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Chaikin Money Flow||✔||✔||✔|
|Commodity Channel Index CCI||✔||✔||✔|
|Technical Screens Score||80||100||87||56||2||1||3||5||17||2||0|
Part 2 – Overview of the Stock Scanner / Screener Review
- The 4 Winners are TC2000, MetaStock, TradingView, and Screener.Co.
- The Big Surprise is Screener.Co which you can read in detail in the next section.
- The realization is that most of the big players in stock screeners, actually offer a service that is garbage and not worth your time. Stick with these review winners and you will know you have the best.
I did my first stock screener review back in 2010 and wow a lot has changed since then. Every year brings new contenders and iterative improvements in functionality, usability and data coverage. But this year we have 4 WINNERS, 1 BIG SURPRISE and 1 REALIZATION.
Part 3 – The Winners – Best Stock Screeners / Best Stock Scanners – Detailed Reviews
Best for International Investors & Day Traders who want the excellent Fundamental & Technical Stock Screener Capabilities at a great price point
Winner Best FREE Stock Screener
TradingView has a very slick system and they have put a huge amount of thought into how fundamentals integrate into the analytics system.
Watchlists have fundamentals broken into Performance, Valuation, Dividends, Margin, Income Statement, and Balance Sheet. You can set the watchlist and filters to refresh every minute if you wish.
Economic Indicators & Filters
What makes TradingView stand out is the huge selection of economic indicators you can map and compare on a chart. For example, you can compare the Civilian Unemployment Rate versus the growth in Company Profits for the U.S.A. This is incredibly powerful.
Price – FREE & Premium
You can use TradingView right now, no login, no installation, and no cost. However, you will find that the Pro Version of TradingView unlocks even more power and abilities. Again Starting at $9.95 this is very inexpensive.
Global Data Coverage
We recommend TradingView for any international traders as the Market coverage is huge and if you want a very active trading community this is the place.
TradingView Fundamental Stock Screening & Analysis
The TradingView Stock Screener comes complete with 150 fundamental and technical screening criteria, all the usual criteria are there such as EPS, Quick Ratio, Pre-Tax Margin and PE Ratio (forwards and trailing twelve months). But it also goes deeps with more esoteric criteria such as the number of employees, Goodwill and Enterprise Value.
Another great thing about the screener implementation is that is is very customizable, you can configure the column and filters exactly how you like it. As you can see above I have changed the overview screen to include the number of employees, P/E, and EPS TTM.
Forex Pairs Scanner Implementation
What makes TradingView unique here is the availability of screeners for chart patterns and setups for foreign exchange pairs. This makes it very valuable for day traders searching for volatility and using leverage.
In the Forex screener, we can compare performance and volatility together will help you to narrow down the list for currency traders.
Cryptocurrency Screener Implementation
The ability of TradingView to also provide crypto screening is quite unique. They have also included a rating filter. In the screenshot below you can see a technical rating for the crypto pair.
The rating system enables you to select the crypto’s rated as “strong sell” to use as candidates for a short trade, and strong buys as candidates for long trades, this will save you a lot of time.
Extremely easy to use, low cost and packed with Stock Screener Power, including economic data. The right combination for active international day traders who value a social community.
|Read the Full TradingView Review Here||Try TradingView Now For Free|
Watch This Introduction To TradingView Video
Best for International Investors & Day Traders who want the best Fundamental & Technical Stock Screener Capabilities with the Best Real-time News Service & Economics Data
They also have an incredible database of global fundamental data, not just on companies but economies and industries, the wealth of data is first class.
Using Eikon you can see a really in-depth analysis of company fundamentals from debt structure to top 10 investors, including level II combine that with excellent watch lists featuring fundamentals and powerful scanning of the markets and MetaStock gets a perfect 10.
MetaStock Video – Showing the Simplicity of Screening & Analysis
MetaStock Stock Screener Highlights
- Global Data Coverage – Real-time and accurate
- Screening on Exchange Traded Funds, Mutual Funds, Options and even Foreign Exchange (Forex)
- Extensive Analyst Ratings and Changes Coverage
- 79 Core Fundamental Screening Criteria, but in reality, there are many more.
- 100+ off the shelf Technical Screens, but another 169 more are available using the explorations
But It’s Not Free!
The fact is if you want real power it will cost you. MetaStock is a Review Winner for our Best Stock Market Software Review, and that is for many good reasons.
- It is not expensive – starting at $27.95 per month
- You get Real-time News Included
- You get world class charts and flexibility.
- You get extremely powerful systems backtesting
- You also get Forecasting into the future – which is quite unique
If you are interested in a Free 30-day trial and discount on the MetaStock Product click this button.
|Try MetaStock Free for 30 Days & Get a Discount||Read the full MetaStock Detailed Review|
Best for U.S. & Canadian Investors, who want fantastic Fundamental & Technical Screening at a great price point
I selected TC2000 as my tool of choice back in the year 2000 because it offered back then, simply the best implementation of fundamental scanning, filtering and sorting available on the market. 17 years later, they are still a leader in this section.
They offer a huge selection of fundamentals to choose from, but what makes it unique is the fact you can, with a few clicks, create your own indicators based on the fundamentals. You can then overlay the indicators directly on the charts, which opens up a whole new world and technical and fundamental analysis. 10 out of 10 for TC2000.
TC2000 Stock Screener & Software Highlights
- Free Version, The is a Free Version of TC2000 called FreeStockCharts.com that you can use to begin testing its capability
- Low-Cost Premium Version – The Premium TC2000 is incredibly powerful, with an end of day data entry-level price of $9.95 per month which is incredible
- The ease of use masked the powerful scanning, screening and filtering
- Integration – It is the best integrated of all Stock Market Software as you can effortlessly glide from powerfull Screening on a large array of Fundamental & Technical Screens, to managing your Watchlist and directly trading with the TC2000 brokerage.
- ETF Screening – Powerful Exchange Traded Fund Screening is included
- Options Screening – The options Screening and on-screen options execution is second to none and leading the industry
The only downside here is that it is only available for those who trade the U.S. and Canadian Stock Markets.
Day Trader Stock Scanner / Screener
Worden is also very well suited to Day Traders because its scanning is real-time and you can trade directly from the charts if you use TC2000 Brokerage.
If you are interested in TC2000, click this button to get a huge discount on the Liberated Stock Trader PRO Training Course and our Stock Market Crash Detector Book (Combined Value $129)
Try TC2000 + Get Bonuses
Best for U.S. & International Value Investors who want the biggest & best selection of Fundamental Criteria
The big surprise contender this year is the brainchild of Lenny Grover the founder of Screener.co. Using industry-leading Thomson Reuters Data he has crafted the most detailed Fundamental Scanner on the market.
There is a massive amount of fundamental data, literally everything you ever dreamed of, everything in the financial reports is all there and also includes detailed breakdowns of each companies details.
The key features are:
- A large global universe of securities – this is why we recommend for the international investors, you can even filter screen for which exchange, index, sector and even which country or state the company is headquartered in.
- Robust calculation engine that allows non-technical users to create custom screening formulas leveraging over 1,250 built-in metrics
- Fast HTML5 web-based platform that allows for rapid iteration when developing screens (unlike Bloomberg’s cumbersome EQS)
- Flexible column sets allow any metric (including custom metrics) to be displayed in the results table or watchlist view
- Detailed company profiles that can be viewed by clicking on a result and selecting View Company Profile
- Very low price – it’s not free, but if you are serious about your Value investing this is well worth the entry level price
Screener.Co is extremely strong fundamentals and here are the elements I find to be unique or especially strong:
- Insider Trading Screens – you can screen for Insider Net Share Bought, Insider Trades, Insider Ownership Percent, Shares Purchased, Buy & Sell Transactions and insider shares sold.
- Historical Fundamental – most Stock screeners will only show you the picture now. Screener.co stored the fundamental data historically also, which is a huge bonus if, for example, you want to track management effectiveness (return on assets) over time.
- Extensive Dividend Coverage, Institutional Ownership, and Financial Statements.
Screener.Co is not designed for people looking for Technical Analysis screening. This means that if you want to be able to scan if the price is above the 200-day simple moving average (SMA) and the Relative Strength Indicator is above its own 20-day exponential moving average (EMA) then you cannot do it with this package. So active Traders, need not apply.
[Related Article: Best Financial & News Services For Traders]
Screener.Co Review Summary
For all you aspiring Warren Buffet type Value Investors this is the right choice of stock screener.
Part 4 – The Other Contenders
The so-called big boys on online stock screeners did not fare well in this in-depth review, while the NASDAQ Screener score quite well, the quality trails off quickly from there.
NASDAQ / ZACKS Stock Screener
The NASDAQ Stock Screener has been around for a long time, actually, now it is powered by Zacks. In fact, it is the exact same screener as features on the ZACKS website. It is a good Fundamental Screener that is definitely easy to use and worth it for a quick scan or to supplement your existing Charting Software with Analyst Ratings.
NASDAQ / Zacks Stock Screener Positives
- Guru Stock screener – This is a really nice idea, they have attempted to formulate the Criteria from famous investors into a pre-configured stock screen you can use off the shelf. Guru styles implemented include Ben Graham, Peter Lynch & Martin Zweig. Whether they turn you into the next Warren Buffet is another question.
- Incredibly detailed EPS (Earnings per Share) Screening, including Earnings EPS, Last EPS Surprise (%), Previous EPS Surprise (%), Avg EPS Surprise (Last 4 Qtrs), Actual EPS used in Surprise ($/sh), Last Qtr EPS, Last Reported Qtr, Last Yr’s EPS (F0) Before NRI & Last Reported Fiscal Yr
- Extensive Analyst Rating Filters, including upgrades, downgrades and rating changes
NASDAQ / Zacks Stock Screener Negatives
- Limited Free Access – quite a number of the selection criteria require a premium package to be purchased from ZACKS
- No Real Technical Screening Capability – only fundamentals
[Related Article: Best Brokers For Zero Commissions Trading]
Yahoo Stock Screener
Yahoo, as long as they remain in business and do not fire the employees maintaining the Yahoo Finance portal, do have an OK Stock Screener.
Yahoo Stock Screener Positives
- 52 Different Stock Screening Fundamental Filters
- Easy to use interface
- Watchlist integration
- Good basic off the shelf Screens
Yahoo Stock Screener Negatives
No Technical Screening Criteria to mention.
CNBC Stock Screener
If you think this global broadcasting corporation would not settle for anything other than excellent, then you would be seriously wrong.
CNBC Stock Screener Positives (not many)
- 98 Fundamental Indicators, including the number of employees in a company.
CNBC Stock Screener Negatives
- Poor Interface – this is the worst in the list in terms of implementation – it seems like they have given up
- No Watchlists – there is no way I can find to use a watchlist and maintain it
- No real-time scanning – this is a click and copy to excel situation
- Bad usability – follow the link and see if you can even start a screening session
- Limited Stock Universe – Focussing only on North America
- No real Technical Screens
FINVIZ Stock Screener
FINVIZ Stock Screener Positives
- The opening screen looks impressive allowing you to drill straight into top gainers and losers and most volatile
- The Visual Approach to Screening is very nice
- FINVIZ does have 29 Fundamental Criteria and 17 Technical Criteria to select
FINVIZ Stock Screener Negatives
- Inability to select specific criteria – for example, if you want to select 2 exchanges, the NASDAQ and the NYSE, you cannot, you can only select one. This goes for most of the selections and is a large negative.
Reuters Stock Screener
Reuters are definitely leaving the power screening to MetaStock and Screener.Co, because this online version of their data is not really worth the effort. However, there are some benefits.
Reuters Stock Screener Positives
Nice Pre-configured Screens
- GROWTH AT A REASONABLE PRICE (GAARP)
- LARGE CAP GROWTH
- SMALL CAP VALUE
- SMALL CAP GROWTH
- NEAR PRICE HIGHS
- MID-CAP MOMENTUM
Data does include Europe, Americas, Asia Pacific & Africa & Middle East
Reuters Stock Screener Negative
- A seriously limited selection of criteria.
- EPS Growth Rate
- Price/Earnings/Growth (PEG)
- Sector & Industry
MSN Money Stock Screener
Microsoft has done a reasonable job with this Stock Screener
MSN Money Stock Screener Positives
- 45 Fundamental Screening Selections – will cover a beginner’s needs
- Nice Clean Simple Interface
- Easy to Use
- Includes MorningStar Ratings
- Global Data Coverage
MSN Money Stock Screener Negatives
- No Easy Way to add multiple selected companies to a watchlist.
- No Technical Screens
MarketWatch Stock Screener
For a company whose name infers watching the market, this poor stock screener does not do a good job of it.
MarketWatch Stock Screener Positives
- Includes Zacks Ratings
MarketWatch Stock Screener Negatives
- With a grand total of 4 criteria, this screener is a waste of time
- Extremely poor – hardly anything worth selecting
Stock Screener Review Summary
Out of all the screeners we reviewed, the clear winners are TradingView with excellent scanning across the globe’s stock markets. MetaStock has extremely powerful scanning and real-time news. TC2000 has the most integrated approach to screening but is only available for U.S. investors. Finally, Screener.co has a powerful historical database of fundamental data but will take time to master.
Part 5 – The 6 Step Process to Follow Before You Buy A Stock
Here is a simple process I use to find winning stocks.
Step 1: Understanding
Step 2: Selection
Use your selection criteria to narrow down the 7000+ stocks on the US Stock Markets or over 50,000 stock worldwide. (Stock Screening – covered in detail in the PRO Training)
Step 3: Fundamentals
From your Screened List, you can then review in detail further detailed fundamentals.
Step 4: Industry Knowledge (optional)
Learn a little about the industry of the stocks you are interested in.
Step 5: Technical Analysis
Analyse the Price Patterns, to assess when to BUY “Charting”
Step 6: Buying Strategy
Work out your Entry and Exit Strategy
Now we know what the process is before we buy, we will now focus on the screener to use and the selection criteria so find good companies.
Part 7 – 5 Important Stock Screener Selection Criteria To Find Potential Growth Stocks – Simple Example
So, this section is explicitly about filtering out the junk to find the Gems. This screen is highly focused on fast-growing companies.
1 – Close Price >= $4
This is the Share Price of the Stock at last market close. Use this to filter out Penny Stocks, there is a reason that the share price of a stock can be so small, and it is not usually a good reason, stocks decline in price because the company’s behind the stock are usually run poorly, or have little if any cash flow.
2 – Market Capitalization >= $200 Million
This is the worth of all the outstanding stocks added together. Essentially the worth of the company. You could use a figure of $100 Million, of $50 Million if you wish, this depends on what you personally think constitutes a stable business size. Although the phrase coined recently is “too big to fail”, which sends shivers of paranoia through the private investor.
3 – EPS % Change Last Quarter >= 30%
This is the % increase of the EPS for the last three months. I set this a 30%, to show us stocks performing strongly.
4 – EPS % Growth 1 Year >= 50%.
Combined with the previous criteria, this helps us separate the growth stocks. This means over the last year the earnings have increased over 50%. Never a bad thing.
5 – Projected EPS Change Current Quarter >= 30%.
This means the companies estimated Earnings for this quarter. In the current climate you could drop this to 20% if you wish, as demand is contracting a lot, so 20% would still be healthy.
Your List of Great Companies To Invest In
After you run this screen you will have a list of potential stocks. This list changes over time so do not expect it to be the same as the list above.
What you are left with is companies which are a good size, relatively stable, which strong revenue and profitability.
You may not have heard of these companies they may still be relatively small, but they may hold the key to long-term strong price appreciation.
Legend of the Stock Screener Comparison Factors
Free – is the service offered for free
Premium – is the service a paid for service
U.S. Stocks – Complete U.S. Stocks Coverage
International Stocks – Are markets in Europe & Asia also covered – e.g. suitable for investors outside the U.S.
Stock Screening – What Trading Vehicle are Covered
Sector & Industry Screening – Can you drill down and screen on specific Sectors & industries
ETF Screener – Does the Screener scan Exchange Traded Funds
Depository Receipts – Are ADR’s included as a criterion to scan
Mutual Fund Screener – Are mutual funds included
Options Screener – Does the Screener enable scanning for Stock Options & Setups
Forex Screener – Does the vendor provide Screening for Foreign Exchange
Crypto Screener – Can you screen Crypto Currencies such as Bitcoin
Fundamental Scanning & Screening
Real-Time Scanning & Filtering – Can you can in real-time and have the software auto-update – good for day traders
Watch Lists with Fundamentals – can you build watchlists with Fundamental Column for easy comparison
Pre-configured Scans – does the company provide off the shelf scans to get you up and running quickly
Customizable Scans – can you fully customize and even develop your own scans
Fundamental Screening Filters – Important Fundamentals all Stock Screeners Should Have
Price/Earnings Ratio P/E
EPS Growth Rate
Current Ratio / Quick Ratio
Profit / Income / Revenue
Price to Book / Price to Cashflow
Assets / Debt to Equity
Return on Equity / investment
Total Fundamental Criteria – A Total of all the Fundamental Criteria in the Stock Screener (not just what is listed above)
Unique Screening Criteria – What are the unique Screening Criteria this company offers
Extended Economics Fundamentals
Number of Employees
Enterprise Value EBITDA
Revenue Per Employee
Guru Stock Screener
Analyst Ratings & Changes
Morningstar Profitability & Growth
Technical Screens – Screening on Charts, Indicators & Patterns
New Highs-Lows & % Change
Chaikin Money Flow
Commodity Channel Index CCI
Total Criteria – A count of all technical criteria available in the Stock Screener App
Total Score – The Sum of Total Fundamental Criteria + Total Technical Screener Score
Did you enjoy this review, did it help you? Leave your feedback below, or share on PinterFacebookeBook or Twitter, Sharing is Caring.