Our In-depth Review narrows down 1000’s of Stock Market Mobile Apps to the Best 13.
What are the Best Apps for Free Stock Trades, Beginners & Powerful Stock & Crypto Analysis?
Click on the summary below to jump to the review you want or simply keep on scrolling.
What are the Best Stock Market Apps for iPhone & Android
- Best for Global Exchange Data & Chart Analysis & Social Trading – TradingView
- Best for Commissions Free Stocks, Options and ETF Trading – Firstrade
- Best for Trading from Charts on U.S. & Canadian Markets – TC2000
- Best for Simple Zero Commission Stock Trade from your Phone – Robinhood
- Best for News and Free Stock Trading when integrated with Robinhood – Yahoo Finance
- Best for Social Stock Tweeting – StockTwits
- Best for Gamified Social Learning – Trade Hero
- Best for Stock Market Information – Investing.com
- Best for Stock Research & News – FINWIZ
- Best for Spare Change Investing – Acorns
- Best for Automated Investing – M1 Finance
The Best Stock Market Trading Apps for iPhone & Android Reviews
1. TradingView – Best for Stock Chart Analysis, Portfolio Tracking, Stock Screening, and Social Investing
The incredible thing about TradingView is that they do not even need an app for smartphones or tablets. There is no app, simply go to TradingView.com and it is up and running, no installation no problems.
TradingView is at the cutting edge of HTML5 development, which simply means, whatever device you use TradingView on, it will be visually perfect due to the incredible responsive software design. This means you do not need to sync your data across devices it is already there. Tradingview is the software I use every day and because it is geared around social interaction, learning and community ideas, it is a fabulous place to be. You can follow me on TradingView and get my regular analysis updates.
Ok, the software is great but what are the benefits of TradingView?
Everything you get on the desktop you get on mobile and tablet. In summary, the highlights are:
- Powerful stock charting with a huge selection of indicators, chart types, and drawing tools
- Fully functional stock screener integrated into the fabric of the application
- A social investing first approach which means it is better at social than Twitter or Stocktwits, there are real trading communities and an amazing flow of trading ideas.
- The data coverage is simply amazing covering nearly every stock exchange on the planet including, stocks, ETF’s, Forex, Cryptocurrencies much more.
You can trade directly from charts with TradingView, the broker integration is with CFD brokers like OANDA, Poloniex or CQG. Forex.com our award-winning USA foreign exchange broker is also integrated. TradingView also has a paper trading option which makes it ideal for beginners to practice their trading.
For these reasons and many more – TradingView wins again. Prices start at FREE, but I recommend the PRO package at $9.95 per month or optimally the PRO+ at $19.95 per month.
2. Firstrade – The most Powerful App for Zero Commission Stock, Options and ETF Trades + Excellent News & Research
Firstrade is the best broker you have never heard of. They came in second in our broker review in 2017, but the moved to commission-free stock trades in August 2018 which catapulted them to the top of our Best Stock Broker Review.
But let’s talk mobile trading apps because that’s why you are here.
The Firstrade stock trading app allows you to manage your portfolio seamlessly, you can trade stocks, options, and ETF’s commission-free directly from your phone.
Firstrade is a large brokerage and you need to open a brokerage account to be able to take advantage of the app. But the benefits are huge:
- Seamless integration
- Portfolio Management
- Real-time Profit & Loss
- Buy and Sell from your Smartphone
- Did I mention commission-free trades
If you are looking to trade from your phone, choose Firstrade.
I have been a Platinum subscriber with TC2000 for 20 years. Why, because they offer simply the best-integrated charting and real-time fundamental scanning and screening service available.
It is an incredibly powerful yet easy to use stock analysis suite.
TC2000 is ideal for those wanting to trade and invest in the U.S. and Canadian stock market as international exchanges are not supported. TC2000 was also a review winner for the last 5 years in a row in our Stock Trading Software Review.
- You can trade directly from charts
- You can scan on fundamentals and customer technical conditions and then initiate a trade in seconds.
- You get a first class experience on mobile
The reason TC2000 comes in 3rd place in this review is simply that the trades are not commission free. But the software and for example the options visualizations are excellent.
4. Robinhood – Best for Simplicity connecting you with an investing platform that lets you buy and sell stocks, ETFs, options, and cryptocurrencies with zero commissions.
Notably, Robinhood charges no trading commissions. Instead of trading commissions, Robinhood makes money through a $6 membership fee; margin trading, and rebates from executing brokers.
Robinhood is a member of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC). Thus Robinhood insures accounts for up to $500,000 for American customers.
Beyond that, Robinhood fully encrypted its app and built-in state-of-the-art security measures. Additionally, market geeks will love the real-time cryptocurrency and other market information available through Robinhood.
Markedly, Robinhood offers a free share of stock to persons who sign up for its brokerage accounts. The free stocks could include Ford (NYSE: F), Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL), and Sprint (NYSE: S).
Robinhood is the best stock app for beginner traders who want to keep in super simple. In particular, it is a great resource for investors with a high tolerance for risk. However, apps associated with traditional brokerages will better serve more demanding and experienced investors.
Further reading: Robinhood vs Firstrade in our free trading brokers showdown.
5. Yahoo! Finance– This app is being constantly being updated and fixed by Yahoo!! Moreover, Yahoo Finance is still one of the better sources of market news around.
If you are looking for easy-to-read market news and data, Yahoo Finance is still one of the best apps around. In addition, Yahoo!! Finance offers access to a wide variety of market-oriented videos.
Including clips from popular news shows and interviews with business leaders.
There are features that allow you to trade stocks and follow over 100 cryptocurrencies in the Yahoo! Finance App. The Yahoo! Finance App is available for iOS in the App Store and Android in Google Play.
Yes, you heard correctly you can trade directly from Yahoo Finance.
In fact, surprisingly Yahoo Finance has a huge selection of broker integrations. So as opposed to going through the hassle of signing up with a specific broker you can use Yahoo to integrate with your broker
The list of major brokers Yahoo integrates with:
|E*Trade||TD Ameritrade||Capital One|
|Ally Invest||TradeStation||Merrill Edge|
6. StockTwits– This interesting app allows you to follow social media posts by a wide variety of speculators, traders, and other stock geeks.
StockTwits is a great place to get the feel of the markets and see what traders and speculators think.
Notably, a lot of the contributors share charts for technical analysis. The Trending Lists feature is an excellent means of seeing the latest trends.
The downside is that Stock Twits contains advertising. On the other hand, the information you can learn from StockTwits finance, stocks, and cryptocurrency chat can provide an interesting and unique picture of the market.
I use StockTwits so if you are inclined to do so, you can follow me, I regularly provide market and stock insight and analysis.
7. TradeHero–TradeHero is a “gamified social trading app” designed to teach trading and investing.
Instead of trading, they designed TradeHero to teach trading and familiarize you with the market. TradeHero teaches trading by giving you access to a virtual trading platform.
For instance, TradeHero gives you $100,000 in play money. TradeHero also offers the ability to trade stocks on 35 virtual platforms. In addition, TradeHero teaches FX (foreign exchange) trading with 38 currency pairs.
TradeHero is a great resource for beginners that want to practice trading and experience the market. Moreover, TradeHero is a good tool for experienced traders who want to test theories, systems or strategies.
Notably, TradeHero allows users to learn from the trades and tips of experienced traders it calls “Heroes.” Hence, TradeHero is an excellent learning tool for all levels of investors.
The drawback to virtual trading apps is that you could think of trading as a game. However, virtual trading apps are a great teaching tool. For instance, virtual-trading apps are a good way to introduce to introduce younger people; who grew up with video games, to the market.
Conversely, TradeHero offers real-money trading in selected countries. Benefits include zero commissions on trades and the ability to open accounts within five minutes. TradeHero is best for those who want to gain experience in trading.
8. Investing.com–If you are looking for an app that just provides stock information, Investing.com is a good choice.
For example, Investing.com provides real-time updates about 30,000 financial instruments traded on 100 exchanges worldwide.
Additionally, the app offers an economic calendar that provides alerts and updates about economic events and announcements worldwide. Interest rate changes, regulatory changes, and IPOs for instance.
9. FinWiz-Stocks from Finance Wizard– A lot of investors like this app because it is light and easy to use but packed with features.
For instance, FinWiz lets you sync data to the cloud on multiple devices. Thus, you will always be able to access your last stock search. Moreover, you can follow your stocks on multiple devices; such as your phone and your computer. A Dual Time feature lets you track and compare two investments at once.
FinWiz combines real-time stock quotes, key statistics, the latest news, detailed financial information, and earnings information in an easy to read screen. Thus, FinWiz is perfect for value investors.
Unfortunately, FinWiz is only available for Android in GooglePlay. Thus, FinWiz is one of the best Android-only stock apps we found.
10. Acorns– This is the best of the “spare change” investment apps. To explain, Acorns automatically invests extra cash or spare change in individual retirement accounts.
Acorns is best for beginners, lazy investors, and busy people with little spare time. On the other hand, experienced investors and stock geeks will find Acorns too simple. Thus active investors will hate Acorns but passive investors will like it.
11. M1 Finance– M1 Finance is designed for hands-on investors who want to build their own portfolios.
Uniquely, M1 Finance lets you copy expert portfolios or build your own. Furthermore, M1 offers both automatic and manual investing. Thus, M1 is a great resource for serious investors busy with careers or families.
The great advantage to M1 is that allows automatic investing based on your preferences. Hence, M1 is perfect for serious investors with little spare time. In addition, M1 Finance offers no-fee investing.
12. Stock Trainer Virtual Stock Trading App – Stock Trainer teaches users about stocks by letting them make mock trades with virtual money.
Stock Trainer can be a valuable education tool because they base its virtual markets on real markets. For example, Stock Trainer offers virtual markets based on 20 exchanges in 13 countries.
Stock Trainer offers real-world experience in research, analysis, and statistics. Uniquely, Stock Trainer is free which makes it a good resource for beginners. The danger with apps like Stock Trainer is that they can teach you to view the market as a game.
Unfortunately, Stock Trainer is only available in Android from Google Play. Therefore it is not available for iPhones.
13. The Goldman Sachs Private Wealth Management (PWN) App–This is the best investment and stock app for high-income iPhone users.
The PWN app offers Goldman Sachs clients quick access to market news, accounts, and portfolio data information. Uniquely, the PWN app offers easy and secure communication with Goldman Sachs’ wealth managers.
Unfortunately, the PWN app is only available for iPhones with iOS version 7.0 or later. However, it will work on the iPod Touch fifth generation or later. In addition, the Goldman Sachs PWN app is only available in certain countries listed at its website. Another advantage is that the PWN app is available in the App Store.
This is just a small sampling of the stock apps on the market today. To take your investing and research to the next level, search Google Play or the Apple Store for the App right for you.
Well, that is our selection, you probably have your favorites, let us know in the comments below.