There are many Stock Markets in the world and they have essentially been established to allow business to get cheap financing to aid rapid expansion in exchange for a slice of the business and an opportunity to profit with the business. The largest stock markets are located in the richest countries, this enables business to get access to the wealth and capital available in these countries to finance growth.
- Do you know how many stock markets are established?
- Do you know what the biggest stock markets are, and where they are located?
- Are you trying to decide which stock market or stock markets are the right ones for you to invest in.
The worlds major Stock Markets
The World Federation of Exchanges (WFE) regulates 52 Stock Exchanges across the globe promoting regulatory standards. Below you can see the list of the major exchanges regulated and reported on. I have sorted this list on the Domestic Market Capitalization. This Capitalization is the value of all the shares traded on the exchange.
Interesting Points To Note
- The biggest stock exchange in the world is the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE Eurnext) with a total value of over $13 Trillion Dollars
- The 2 largest exchanges in the world are the US NASDAQ the US NYSE – the combined value of these two exchanges is equal to the value of the next 6 smaller exchanges (Tokyo, London, Hong Kong, NYSE Euronext Europe, Shanghai and the TSX Group)
- The NYSE & NASDAQ account for roughly 40% of the value of the Global Stock Markets
- The 52 Regulated Exchanges have a combined value of $51,7 Trillion Dollars
- The top 10 exchanges account for over 70% of the capitalization of the global markets
Stock Exchanges – Sorted By Domestic Market Capitalization (USD millions)
So we know what the world biggest stock markets are, however which stock exchanges are the fastest growing.
The Fastest Growing Stock Markets in 2010
The largest stock markets are interesting from the perspective of choice, the US Exchanges contain over 7000 companies you can choose to enable you to seek your profits. But alternatively the growth of the capitalization of these markets allows us to see which markets are the hottest, in terms of growth of the companies. Also the fastest growing market enable us to see where the big money is flowing.
The table below is fascinating because the picture of growth is completely different to the picture of size.
We all know that the industrialized world’s growth is slowing and the emerging markets / emerging countries are very strong. This is likely to continue into 2011 / 2012.
The Fasting Growing Global Stock Exchanges
- Surprisingly the fastest growing exchanges are Colombo Stock Exchange – Sri Lanka (133%), Osaka Stock Exchange Japan (77.9%) followed by Philippines, Indonesia and Thailand. However the capitalization of these exchange is quite small and this can often skew the figures especially when the stock market is being newly established.
- Of the major exchanges worth over $0.3 trillion, we see the fastest growth in Indonesia, China with the Shenzhen SE, Istanbul Turkey, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea and India with the National Stock Exchange India and the Bombay Stock Exchange.
Stock Exchanges – Sorted By Domestic Market Capitalization 1 year growth rate (USD millions)
What are the best stock markets to invest in?
In terms of regulation and choice, the US and European Stock Market are the place to go, with vast numbers of companies floated on these exchanges you can always find companies that meet your criteria.
In terms of high end growth, China and India are the highest performing stock markets since the financial crisis. Read this article on the Global Stock Markets.